Cloud Desktop FAQ

1. Why would I need to use Cloud Desktop?
2. Why might I need to use Cloud Desktop when working remotely on my corporate device?
3. Do I need to use Cloud Desktop to access the below applications when working remotely?
4. How do I access Cloud Desktop?
5. What should I do when I’m done using Cloud Desktop?
6. Can students access Cloud Desktop?
7. Why is my email signature missing in Outlook?
8. Why are applications that I pin to the taskbar in Cloud Desktop not saved when I log back in?
9. Why are my favourites/bookmarks missing on my browser in Cloud Desktop?
10. Can I access shared drives in Cloud Desktop?
11. I had some shared drives in Cloud Desktop, but they have disappeared – why is this?
12. How do I use multiple monitors in Cloud Desktop?
13. I can’t see an application that I want to use in Cloud Desktop – is it available?
14. How can I edit a PDF in Cloud Desktop?
15. I have a performance issue/other issue/would like some advice?
16. Why was the legacy Citrix Cloud Desktop service replaced with the new AVD Cloud desktop service?

ICT Services strongly recommend that if you have a corporate laptop or other computer issued by the University that you do as much of your work as possible on that device rather than using Cloud Desktop.

However, if you need to work with sensitive University data and do not have a corporate laptop or other ICT-managed device issued by the University, then using Cloud Desktop would be the recommended solution.

To access shared drives:

ICT are strongly encouraging all departments to migrate as many of their shared files over to Office365 (365.lincoln.ac.uk) rather than using shared drives. OneDrive has a range of advantages over shared drives, including ease and security of file sharing, availability from anywhere on any device and secure backup.

If you would like more information or support on how to do this, please email ICT at ict@lincoln.ac.uk.
If you need to access a shared drive when working remotely, the Cloud Desktop is currently the only way this is possible.

To access QLS:

OneUni is the production student record service and is available over the web on any device. QLS is now only available to a small team within Student Admin for reference purposes and can only be accessed via Cloud Desktop when working remotely.

To work with sensitive University data while not a corporate device managed by ICT:

If you regularly work remotely with sensitive University data (such as personal data of students or staff, delivery of services under a contract that requires Cyber Essentials like Apprenticeships & Project Selborne, or work with commercially sensitive research data, then you should have a corporate laptop to do this work. If a corporate laptop is not available, then rather than process sensitive data on your local device, the Cloud Desktop can be used to keep the data contained within a secure environment.

QLS Yes – this can only be accessed from Cloud Desktop
Maximiser (Outlook add-on)  No – this can be done on your corporate device by connecting to the VPN. Details about using the VPN can be found at: https://ict.lincoln.ac.uk/2022/07/20/how-to-vpn
Resource Link  No – this can be accessed directly on your corporate device by connecting to the VPN 
CMIS No – this can be accessed from your corporate device while connected to the VPN

4. How do I access Cloud Desktop?

There are two methods to access Cloud Desktop – desktop client and web client. Wherever possible, you should use the desktop client as this provides a smoother experience with enhanced features.

Desktop client

Download and install the relevant client for your device from the below address:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-clients

Once installed, run the application then click the ‘Subscribe’ button and sign in with your University of Lincoln (UoL) email address / password and usual MFA method. Once the subscribe process is complete, double-click on the ‘Desktop’ icon to launch and sign into Cloud Desktop.

Web client

Open a new browser tab and navigate to the below address:

https://client.wvd.microsoft.com/arm/webclient/index.html

Sign in with your UoL email address/password and usual MFA method. Once the page loads, click on the ‘Desktop’ icon to launch and sign into Cloud Desktop.

It is important to fully sign out of Cloud Desktop every time you have finished using it. Please follow the below steps to do this:

1. In your Cloud Desktop session, click on the Windows menu icon in the bottom left of the screen
  2. Click on the user icon / username in the menu, then click on ‘Sign out’

6. Can students access Cloud Desktop?

Students do not have access to Cloud Desktop at present. A full suite of applications is available to students via AppsAnywhere (https://appsanywhere.lincoln.ac.uk). If there is a specific use case potentially requiring student access to Cloud Desktop, please contact ICT to discuss this in more detail.

Email signatures for the desktop version of Outlook are not synchronised within Cloud Desktop. If you use the Outlook web client within Cloud Desktop, your signature will be synchronised. Alternatively, save a copy of your email signature in a Word file within your OneDrive account to allow easy copying into the Outlook desktop client as needed.

Unfortunately, this does not work within Cloud Desktop. A simple method for finding and launching applications is to press the Windows key, then start typing the name of the application – when the application appears in a list on screen either press the enter key to launch the default / best match or click on the desired application to launch it.

9. Why are my favourites / bookmarks missing on my browser in Cloud Desktop?

You will need to sign into the Microsoft Edge browser to enable this:

• On the device where you have your existing favourites (i.e., your corporate laptop), sign into the Edge browser using your UoL account. If your favourites are saved in Google Chrome, you will need to import them into Edge (via ‘Settings’ > ‘Profiles’ > ‘Import browser data’)
  • On Cloud Desktop, open the Edge browser and sign in using the same account as on your local device – this will synchronise your favourites.

Shared drives are not available by default in Cloud Desktop but are available on request.

The recommended method for saving and sharing files in Cloud Desktop is by using your University OneDrive account – this has a range of advantages over shared drives including ease and security of file sharing, availability from anywhere on any device and secure backup.

However, if you do have a business need to use shared drives, please contact ICT to request this.

11. I had some shared drives in Cloud Desktop but they have disappeared – why is this?

Due to the way in which data is stored in Cloud Desktop, user profiles are periodically reset – a consequence of this is that any manually mapped shared drives are removed from your profile when it is reset.

To resolve this, please manually map the relevant drives again.

Multiple monitors are only available when using the desktop client – to configure multiple monitors:

• In the desktop client, right-click on the ‘Desktop’ icon, then click on ‘Settings’
  • Toggle ‘Use default settings’ to ‘Off’
  • Change the settings in the ‘Display Settings’ section as required

Microsoft Office suite and Adobe Reader are installed directly in Cloud Desktop and are available to all users.

The majority of all other University applications are available via AppsAnywhere when you are signed into Cloud Desktop. To view and use applications that are available to you, sign into AppsAnywhere within Cloud Desktop at:

https://appsanywhere.lincoln.ac.uk

Further information about using AppsAnywhere is available at:

https://lncn.ac/jfz

If the application, you are looking for is not available within AppsAnywhere please contact ICT for further advice.

Where possible, you should use Acrobat DC on your corporate device to edit PDF files, however if you need to edit a file on Cloud Desktop for any specific reason (e.g., it is on a shared drive), then you will need to launch Acrobat DC from AppsAnywhere within your Cloud Desktop session to do this.

There is a Cloud Desktop User Community site within Teams – service announcements regarding performance and features are posted here and general queries can be raised in the Support channel on the site. To request access to the site, please follow the below link:

https://lncn.ac/Cloud Desktop Team

If you have a specific issue or question regarding Cloud Desktop that is not covered within the Teams site, please raise an ICT ticket by emailing ict@lincoln.ac.uk

The legacy solution was put in place many years ago and the hardware had come to the end of its life – continuing to use it posed large risks to reliability and security and would not comply with compliance requirements that the University is contractually committed to. Replacing it with a like-for-like solution hosted in our data centre on premises would have required a very large capital investment as well as ongoing operational costs whereas the AVD solution meets requirements with no up-front capital investment and a modest ongoing operational costs and it also offers additional functionality and scalability that is expected to play a role in providing solutions for new demands from around the business in the near future.